''We do not know where to get heavy blankets to keep warm, and there are no mattresses and pillows.'' says Juri, 9-years-old
The arrival of winter weather– marked by heavy rain, gusting winds, and cooler temperatures – is piling misery upon misery for children and families like Juri's.
Over two months into the escalation of hostilities has forcibly displaced nearly 1.9 million people like Juri from their homes in Gaza. Families displaced by the hostilities and living in makeshift shelters are especially vulnerable to the damp winter weather, with flooding and a lack of fuel for heating leaving them exposed to the risk of respiratory and other diseases. Many are struggling to find blankets to stay warm. With no mattresses and pillows, children and families have no choice but to sleep on the ground in tents.
UNICEF is working with partners to help provide desperately needed winter supplies. But the need is immense. Children in Gaza are in urgent need of safe and sustained access to essential, life-saving support and supplies.
Situation of Gaza in numbers
Nearly 3.1 Million
people in need
Over 1.9 Million
people forced to flee their homes
Nearly 1 Million
children affected in the Gaza Strip
What is UNICEF doing in Gaza Strip?
UNICEF response will continue to focus on responding to the needs of millions of children and families currently facing an urgent and pressing need for protection and humanitarian assistance.
Since the escalation started, UNICEF has reached children and families with-
- Safe and clean water by supporting water trucking to shelters and the distribution of bottled water. UNICEF is reaching children and families with water containers, chlorine tablets for water purification, and fuel to operate water wells, desalination plants, and trucking.
- Hygiene and sanitation essentials by distributing tens of thousands of bars of soap and family hygiene kits containing everyday basic items as well as hygiene essentials for women.
- Emergency medical support and supplies to hospitals and health facilities, including supplies for newborns, kits for midwives, kits to treat acute watery diarrhoea, and other life-saving medicines.
- Nutrition supplies including, amongst other essentials, high-energy biscuits for children and micronutrient supplementation for children as well as pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Winter supplies including blankets, tents, and warm clothes.
- Cash assistance for the most vulnerable households to meet basic needs.
But the need is immense and continuously increasing. Please donate to send help urgent aid to Gaza and wider State of Palestine.
How can you help?
With the conflict now at full scale in the south of the Gaza Strip, our team on the ground count on your support to further reach more children and families with urgent support, as they continue to find ways around incredibly complex logistical and safety challenges.
Your support can help reach more children and families with-
- Winter essentials as temperatures continue to drop, and as medical teams are already noting a rise in cases of acute respiratory disorders and diarrhoea among children under five;
- Nutrition supplies including, amongst other essentials, high-energy biscuits for malnourished children and micronutrient supplementation for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Medical supplies to assist wounded children and families, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers who are now struggling to feed themselves and their babies;
- Cash assistance to more vulnerable households including single-parenting mothers and families who have children with disabilities.
- Cleans and safe water, sanitation, and hygiene essentials
Time is running out for the children in Gaza, and they are in urgent need of safe and sustained access to water, food, health, and fuel necessary to enable essential services.