Please help children in Indonesia!
There has been a devastating earthquake and tsunami in Palu, on the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia. The media is reporting that more than 800 children, men and women are dead. We fear that number might rise.
UNICEF is calling on our wealth of emergency response experience. We know from the tsunami of 2004 that killed nearly 226,000 across the Indian Ocean, including 120,000 in Indonesia, that tsunamis are a deadly force and the recovery efforts difficult. Rescue efforts are now under way and UNICEF is poised to respond.
Our experience tells us that in the first days following an earthquake and tsunami we must:
- Assess needs and determine the best and most effective way to respond;
- Find shelter for the families from thousands of homes that have collapsed;
- Reunite missing children with their families;
- Ensure that families are provided safe drinking water.
It is still too early to know the full extent of our response, but we look to you for your help. With power out and roads blocked, there's no telling how many children might be at risk.
Just last month, a series of deadly earthquakes struck the Indonesian island of Lombok, killing more than 500 people. We expect the humanitarian impact to be even more significant in Sulawesi.
UNICEF Indonesia has been using our own resources to respond, but will seek additional financial resources to enable the immediate mobilizing of supplies and in-country personnel to address urgent humanitarian needs in the worst affected areas.
You can also donate offline to UNICEF via;
1. bank transfer to;
Account name: UNICEF.
- Bangkok Bank, Ko Pho Branch, Current Account, Account No. 201-3-01324-4
- KrungThaiBank, BanglumpooBranch, Current Account, Account No. 167-6-00662-1
- Bank of Ayudhya, Banglumpoo Branch, Current Account, Account No. 011-0-06153-6
- Kasikorn Bank, Banglumpoo Branch, Current Account, Account No. 008-1-09766-6
- Siam Commercial Bank, Banglumpoo Branch, Current Account, Account No. 003-3-10443-3
Please send your deposit information with your name, telephone number, email address, address for tax receipt via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 02-3569229. Please also write down "O1018".
2. SMS by texting 100 to 4712225 to donate 100 Baht, from now until 20 October 2018. SMS donation is subject to 7 percent VAT and not tax deductible.
*In the event funds raised exceed the needs for this emergency, we hope you will trust us to use your donation to help children wherever the need is greatest.